HOW TOM FORD CHANGED GUCCI
Those of you old enough should please cast your minds back to the start of the 90s when nobody was wearing Gucci; it was considered an aging out-of-touch fashion house, which had a very tarnished reputation thanks to the scandalous Gucci family whose members had committed murder and tax evasion.
In 1990, Dawn Mello, the new editor and ready-to-wear designer, (and a star of the retail business who had turned around New York’s Bergdorf Goodman in the 70s), appointed the young and virtually unknown American designer Tom Ford to help her overhaul the brands image and to co-design women’s ready-to-wear. He flourished in the company and was rapidly promoted to also do menswear, then shoes and so on until by 1993 he was in charge of designing eleven product lines, and was working eighteen-hour days.
The tipping point however came in 1994, when Ford was finally given complete control of the brand and was made creative director. His first collection in 1994 made fashionistas jaws hit the floor the world over. It was a critically-acclaimed campaign of shock and awe – all Halston-style velvet hipster pant suits and skinny satin shirts in petrol blue. Bad-girl celebrities like Kate Moss and Madonna snapped up the collections and Mario Testino was employed to take care of the new super slick and very sexy ad campaigns (remember the girl with her pubic hair shaved into a Gucci logo shape?) The message was clear, Gucci was back and it was about one thing (sex) and there was one man masterminding it all (Tom Ford). Every subsequent colletion from Ford saw the brand go from strength to strength and its fanbase spread all around the globe. Before Ford joined in 1990, the house had been almost bankrupt; when he finally left in 2004 to set up his own label, Gucci Group was valued at $10 billion.
“We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it.”
-Ernesto “Che” Guevara
IM WATCHING THIS AND I FEEL A KINDA WAY TO, CAUSE I HAVE BEEN AT EVERY ONE OF THESE PARTIES, SO I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD BE INCLUDED LOL , BUT ALL BULLSHIT ASIDE, IF YOU’VE NEVER BEEN TO A RUNCAU PARTY HERE IN THE ATL,YOU AINT NEVER BEEN TO A PARTY,AND FROM THE LOOKS OF THIS VIDEO, THEY PREPARING FOR THIS ONE TO BE ONE OF THE BEST!!!
October 03, 2012 | By Jem Aswad, New York
IGA chairman/CEO Jimmy Iovine said in a statement: “I’m really excited to have John come on board as President and COO; he’s exactly what we needed at this time. Everything he accomplished at Fueled By Ramen reminded me of the early days of Interscope. Combine that with John’s experience running a bigger company at Elektra, and it makes him the perfect fit for us.”
“I’m looking forward to what lies ahead for Interscope Geffen A&M, and I’m thrilled to be working with Jimmy Iovine.” said Janick, who will report directly to Iovine. “Because he is here, I would not have gone anywhere else. I’ve been entrusted to help build this company for the future. Interscope Geffen A&M has great artists and great employees. It’s fantastic to be joining a company that has been built on such exciting artists and music; that’s something I intend on continuing.”
Janick has been touted as Iovine’s heir apparent in the weeks since news of his joining Interscope first broke, which raises questions about Iovine’s future role at the company; his success with Beats Electronics and as a judge on “American Idol” have inevitably taken away from his day-to-day work at the label. Also unclear is the leadership of Fueled by Ramen going forward.
Janick co-founded Fueled by Ramen in 1996 from his University of Florida dorm room in 1996; he was an 18-year-old freshman at the time. The label grew over the following years as Janick earned a B.A. in Finance and Business Management and then an M.B.A. at the University of South Florida. FBR saw early success with Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy and Less Than Jake, and in the mid-2000s with Panic! at the Disco and Paramore.
He was brought in with Mike Caren — who was recently named president of worldwide A&R for Warner Music Group – to run the re-activated Elektra in 2009, starting with Cee Lo Green, Justice and Little Boots. He signed fun. to FBR early in 2010.
Janick, 34, and Caren were named to Fortune magazine’s “40 Under 40″ list last year. Dangerbird Records co-founder Jeff Castelaz, who left the company last month, is in line to take over Elektra in the wake of Janick’s and Caren’s departures, sources told Billboard.biz.
#Inthestudio @Frescokane and @djinfamousATL in St.Louis,working on his new Mixtape