Jos, Nigeria, Jan 12, 2015 / 02:56 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Boko Haram having killed as many as 2,000 in an attack on the town of Baga last week, Archbishop Ignatius Kaigama of Jos hopes that Nigeria will see demonstrations of solidarity and unity in the face of such violence.
“I am thinking about the big demonstration which took place in Paris against the killings in France,” Archbishop Kaigama told Fides Jan. 12. “I hope even here a great demonstration of national unity will take place, to say no to violence and find a solution to the problems plaguing Nigeria.”
He also told the BBC the same day that the international community must show Nigeria the same spirit and resolve as it had following the attacks in France, charging that the West has ignored Boko Haram’s threat to Nigeria.
“We need that spirit to be spread around. Not just when (an attack) happens in Europe, but when it happens in Nigeria, in Niger, in Cameroon.”
The radical Islamist group Boko Haram launched an attack on Baga, an isolated town on the shore of Lake Chad in Borno, Nigeria’s northeasternmost state, on Jan. 3. The following day, multinational troops abandoned a military base there, and thousands of residents fled for Chad.
Boko Haram launched a second assault on Baga Jan. 7, burning down nearly the entire town and raiding nearby villages.
Musa Alhaji Bukar, a senior government official in Borno, suggested that some 2,000 were killed in the attacks, while other reports estimated deaths in the hundreds.
“Baga … was the last town in the Borno North area under government control,” according to the BBC. Boko Haram control an estimated 70 percent of Borno state.
In Maiduguri, the capital of Borno, three female suicide bombers killed around 20 on Jan. 10. One of the bombers was reputed to be 10 years old. The following day, two female suicide bombers killed four and injured 40 in Potiskum.
Over the weekend, Boko Haram attacks on a Cameroonian military base and on Damaturu, capital of Nigeria’s Yobe state, were repelled.
Baga had been attacked by Boko Haram in August, 2014, at which time 26 were killed, and 50 kidnapped. It was also the scene of an April, 2013 massacre in which some 200 villagers were killed and 2,000 homes and businesses destroyed. Villagers claimed that the massacre was carried out by the Nigerian military, while the Nigerian military in turn blamed Boko Haram.
Baga’s multinational military base formerly hosted troops from Niger and Chad, as well as Nigeria. Niger withdrew its force in October, after a nearby town was captured by Boko Haram.
Boko Haram, which means “Western education is sinful,” launched an uprising in 2009 and hopes to impose sharia law on Nigeria. It has targeted security forces, politicians, Christian minorities, and moderate Muslims in Nigeria’s predominantly Muslim north.
Boko Haram’s attacks have killed thousands since 2009, and displaced more than 1.5 million from their homes.
The U.S. recognized Boko Haram as a foreign terrorist organization in November 2013, after a lengthy advocacy effort from human rights and Christian groups.
On Jan. 1, days before the assault on Baga, the Diocese of Maiduguri – of which Baga is a part – posted this message on its Facebook page: “Despite the violence, despite the hatred, in spite of the blood, sweat, and tears shed last year, we are still standing. Whatever this new year may bring: good or bad, our faith will stand. We will survive everything the devil and his minions throw at us as a diocese, for the battle is not ours it is the Lord’s.”
“May he take control of our destiny, may he wipe our tears, may he give us relief from oppression, may he make the seeds -planted by the blood of so many- grow. This year, May God arise and let his enemies be scattered! May he establish his reign of peace and justice. We pray for this with all our hearts. We pray for patience to carry on, keeping in mind that it always seems darkest shortly before dawn. May this year bring about a turning point in our good fortunes.”
“On this world day of peace, that elusive quality and great good that we all need, may our blessed mother, the Queen of Peace intercede for us and our beloved diocese. Happy New year to you all.”
It seems like the words Atlanta and ‘Stripper’ go hand in hand these days…. especially in light of songs like Usher’s ‘I Don’t Mind’ ft Juicy J where crooner proclaims that since he was ‘raised in the ‘A” he doesn’t mind if you dance on the pole (cause that don’t make you a ho)…. but I digress.
Stripping in Atlanta can be quite lucrative with it being the new ‘hip-hop’ capital of the world and many Strippers take great pains to ensure that their jobs are secure.
Over the years, several local clubs have been sued by exotic dancers including Magic City, Tattletale Lounge, Pin Ups and Pleasers. Last January, a federal judge ruled that strippers at Pin Ups were employees, not independent contractors, and were entitled to a minimum wage and overtime pay under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
[FLASHBACK: Pregnant Stripper Files ‘Unlawful Termination’ Lawsuit… ]
Now two more Atlanta strippers have filed lawsuits against their club owners concerning their wages.
According to the AJC, Brandy Mizner-Klearman and Suzette Maxey filed suit against Doll House II and their supervisor, Theo Lambros, in U.S. District Court in Atlanta.
The two ladies said they worked for tips only at Stilettos Gentlemen’s Club on Marietta St. N.W. in Atlanta, a club owned by ‘Doll House II’ and that they were also required to kick back some of their earnings to pay for their security, the DJ and the house mom.
“The business model for much of the industry is contrary to the Fair Labor Standards minimum wage and overtime requirements,” said Charles Bridgers, an attorney with DeLong Caldwell Bridgers Fitzpatrick, the Atlanta firm representing the dancers.
“The Onyx decision was the case that got everyone’s attention,” Bridgers said.
FYI in 2009, popular Atlanta strip club Onyx, was also sued over wages. The case was settled with 73 dancers being paid a total of $1.55 million, according to court records.
The latest lawsuit states that “At all times … defendants intentionally and willfully misclassified plaintiffs as independent contractors.”
Legal experts say the distinction between determining whether a worker is an “independent contractor” or an “employee” turns on factors including how much control the employer wields over the worker, how much the employer determines the worker’s income, and the permanency of the relationship between the parties.
Another key factor, Bridgers said, is “how integral the service rendered is to the business. In the case of adult night clubs, it is their entire reason for existing.”
Mizner-Klearman and Maxey began working for Doll House II in 2013. They are seeking compensation including unpaid wages due them, plus legal costs.
Yes… strippers are people too but how are they trying to impose regulations on all that CASH? I think these few ‘low paid’ strippers are going to mess it up for the rest of y’all… but that’s nunna my business tho.
THIS SHIT IS LIKE A TV LOL
As the recent embarrassing Sony hacks show, top-notch security is crucial in preserving privacy. Toward that end, one would-be smartphone player is looking to create a secure mobile device for the age of Anonymous and Cyber Caliphate.
Last week, a new crowdfunding campaign launched on Indiegogo for a product boldly called the BOSS phone, an unlocked Android-based device that claims to be “totally secure” and “completely anonymous,” boasts that are just begging to be tested. The campaign seeks to raise $150,000 from security-minded users.
Two features set BOSS apart from other devices in the space. First, the product will take advantage of Tor, the Onion Router, an award-winning technology designed to enable users to protect transmitted data from any kind of network surveillance. Originally created for the U.S. Navy, Tor could also be useful to journalists, military personnel, activists, whistleblowers—and, of course, Sony executives.
BOSS’s other most obvious quality—for better or for worse—is its Hagrid-size proportions (which are not related to any security features). The BOSS phone doesn’t bridge the divide between tablet and smartphone—it flat-out annihilates that bridge by offering a phone that few without a gym membership could likely lift. With a high-res display measuring seven inches, the BOSS dwarfs even popular phablet-esque devices such the iPhone 6 Plus.
The BOSS is slated to arrive later this year, priced at $300 or more.
The latest “American Beauty/American Psycho” track samples “The Munsters” and references “Pulp Fiction.”
Fall Out Boy’s new album drops Jan. 20, but at the rate they’re going, we might hear all of it by the time it’s in stores. And we’re not complaining! Today (Jan. 12) they released a new track called “Uma Thurman,” the sixth track shared so far from the 11-song American Beauty/American Psycho.
Check it out:
Fall Out Boy is one of the few rock bands these days bold enough to use samples prominently. Here it pays off big time, as Pete Wentz and company dig into the theme song from the ’60s sitcom The Munsters for a slick guitar groove and some brassy low-end thump.
The discussions are said to have taken place during Mark Zuckerberg’s trip to Beijing in October—when the Facebook CEO made headlines for his fluency in Mandarin. At a private dinner, according to Reuters‘s sources, Zuckerberg spoke with Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun about the political and commercial possibilities of a Facebook investment in the company, which might have given the social network a new foothold in China, where it is currently blocked from online usage.
Despite Zuckerberg’s proven track record of bold bets on companies ranging from WhatsApp to Instagram, his considered investment in Xiaomi was reportedly “not huge.”
Ultimately, the investment discussions never formalized—apparently due to Xiaomi’s concern that its dealings with Facebook might not only negatively affect its standing in China, but also that it could hurt its relationship with Google, which supports Xiaomi’s hardware through its Android mobile operation system.
Not that Xioami needed Facebook’s capital. The company recently announced a $1.1 billion round of funding from investors that include Hong Kong-based tech fund All Stars Investment, private equity firm DST Global, and Alibaba founder Jack Ma’s Yunfeng Capital.