Michael Jackson’s 14-minute music video for “Thriller” will be getting revived in 3-D next year, now that the clip’s director, John Landis, has settled a legal dispute with the singer’s estate. Although he is still working out specifics, the filmmaker hopes to release the video – which was the most expensive clip of its time and was rated the greatest video of all time by Rolling Stone readers – on Blu-ray and even in theaters, according to the New York Daily News.
About six months before Jackson’s death in 2009, Landis filed a lawsuit accusing the singer of “fraudulent, malicious and oppressive conduct” with regard to the “Thriller” video, according to E! Online. Landis was seeking 50 percent of the net profits of the video, which, at the time, was rumored to be in the neighborhood of $1 million.
“That lawsuit went on for so many years, but we settled and they paid me finally,” Landis told the paper. “And so, actually there is something happening with ‘Thriller.’ It is going to reappear in a highly polished and three-dimensional way that is very exciting on the big screen.”
The Animal House and Blues Brothers director, whose horror flick An American Werewolf in London inspired Jackson to hire him for “Thriller,” refused to offer the paper any other details about the project. “I cannot tell you any more,” he said. “I might have to kill you.”
A source told the Daily News that Jackson had hoped to include a 3-D version of “Thriller” as part of his “This Is It” London residency. The source also suggested that the estate had been considering making a “Thriller” video game, either as “a dance experience or a zombie-style, shoot-’em-up-style movie.” After all, as Vincent Price once said, “No mere mortal can resist the evil of the thriller.”
When Complex founder Marc Ecko received a call from an old friend in search of a conversation, he had no choice but to oblige. That old friend is Bad Boy Records founder and CEO Sean “Diddy” Combs, and the man behind Revolt, his first cable network, had plenty he wanted to talk about. In the first part of their conversation, Diddy talked about media in 2014 and the Revolt Music Conference, which is happening in Miami, Oct. 16—19. But that wasn’t all the legendary MC and businessman had on his mind.
In this second installment of their conversation, Diddy spoke with Ecko about building the base for his new Revolt empire, which he says he sees as the CNN or ESPN for music. He’s especially proud of how Revolt has been able to balance his roots in hip-hop/urban culture with branching out to genres like EDM, alternative, and indie. The chairman also shared his vision for the network, which he doesn’t see in terms of the old-fashioned TV metrics like “millions of homes,” but instead as a source of information that you take everywhere on all of your devices, from your watch on the train to your phone to, yes, the toilet seat.